Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Socialization

The misconception that homeschooled children lack socialization is what I face most by those who do not home school. During school time, they have the opportunity to study without the distractions of the public school atmosphere. After their school work is done and their neighborhood friends who go to public school are home, they play outside. They have several friends. They also participate in activities with other homeschooled students in our community and enjoy extra curricular activities with children their age. Raven and Antoinette both ride horses with others and volunteer to help children with special needs learn how to ride horses.

The only one of my children that could be considered anti-social is my 13 year old son Grant. His anti-social behavior came from the public school system. There he was bullied because of his speech impediment, red hair, glasses, and learning difficulties. From that experience he learned that he can not be rejected if he rejects them first. Slowly I have been helping him to heal from his public school experience and he has been willing to make more friends.

Many of the activities in public schools, such as sports, speech, and music can be experienced outside of a public school education. A public education offers more of an exposure to drugs and bullying. Through home educating my children, I am more directly involved in their social life. So, they are less likely to be exposed to the negative aspects that they would experience in public schools.

One of the excuses that I have heard in defence of the bullying in public schools, is that it is just part of growing up. Maybe building a thicker skin is important so that they do not carry their emotions on their sleeves, but bullying has gone out of control in the public school system. Here in Texas there have been suicides due to bullying as young as 7 years old.  Click here to read some of the cases. Just yesterday I was taking to my daughters 10 year old friend who is in the 4th grade at our local public school. She was telling me how she wished her mom would home school her because there is a fight at school everyday and a child in her grade died at school from another students beating.Our public school system is in a sad state when something like this becomes the norm.

When my oldest daughter was in public school in the 6th grade, she admitted  that it was almost a daily occurrence that she was offered some sort of drug.  Pills have become very popular among students in our local area. In the next town there was Heroin being ran by a student. Now why would I want my teenage daughter to have this kind of social life?

Through home education, my children are offered more of a positive social life. I am directly involved in their lives and the young people that they are exposed to are motivated drug free individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment