Friday, April 8, 2011

Keeping a Flexible Schedule

Most of the time when I have spoken to people that once home schooled their children, yet decided to put them back in public school, was more so because the parents became overwhelmed. To keep things from feeling overwhelming, it is important to keep your schedule flexible. I do this by having year round schooling.

Year round schooling may look like more work, but in reality it makes things much simpler. Because we go year round, when emergencies happen or we decide to take a vacation, It does not set my children back. When I feel like I need to take a breather and catch up on things in life, I can simply give the children a short break. During this time, I can catch up on any home school planning or other things needing to get done in my life.

Having shorter yet more breaks benefits the children as well. When children go to school year round there is usually less review work. Their breaks are shorter, therefor they retain more of the information. Less review work needing to be done means they can aaccomplish more during the school year.

Today was an example of one of those days that had to be cut short. This afternoon we got a call from the place we are trying to buy a new home from. It seems we had more paperwork we needed to fill out. So, the children only had school for a few hours. Since we go year round, it is no big deal and there are no set backs in their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment