Thursday, April 7, 2011

Eclectic Homeschool?

To me being an eclectic home educator, means that I use a variety of different resources and teaching techniques that match each of my children individually. Each of my children learn in different ways, so an educational resource that is used with one, may not be what is best for another.

For Science Grant is using http://www.jason.org . There is an option for the written material to be read to him. So instead of him spending a lot of time struggling through reading, he can focus more on what is being taught. Many of the labs are created for larger classroom use, so I tweak them for home school use.
For math I have interactive computer programs that teach in a small step by step approach to complement his Saxon Math.

Since Raven is much younger and has a competitive nature, many of her subjects are done through games. For spelling she plays a spelling bee game where she can compete against the computer. For Social Studies, she plays Oregon Trail or Carmen Sandiego. Also, she enjoys the creative writing aspect more than the other children, so we have focused more on it that I did with the other children.

Antoinette's personality is very independent and she is self motivated. So, I give her more control over her school day than the others. She may decide to spend two hours on math one day to get ahead and then thirty minutes the next day. She sets goals for herself in her subjects. Where reading and essay writing are concerned, she tends to procrastinate, because these are not her favorite things to do. So, I create due dates for her in these areas.

Most of the time I allow my children to evaluate a curriculum before I purchase it for them. They decide whether the information is presented in a way that they learn best.

No comments:

Post a Comment