Thursday, April 7, 2011

Our Home Education Electivies

Here are some of the electives that my children have done:

Typing- All of my children have learned how to type through various lessons and hands on.

Computer Literacy- I teach them how to use various computer programs such as power point, Microsoft Word, spread sheet etc.. Usually I integrate this into other subjects.

Art- Since I am passionate about art and Raven has an interest in learning this skill, I have taught her many art techniques and how to work with different mediums.

Religious studies- I created a subject that I called peace, which was a study of world religions. We visited various temples that were accessible to us and learned about religions of the world through various lesson plans.

Horsemanship- My two girls ride horses and take riding lessons. They are currently learning how to jump the horses.

Public Speaking- I integrate this into other subjects. I have them give presentations, sometimes in front of groups. There are various techniques to use for practicing their presentation. I found that having them practice in front of their web cam works best.

Chess- Grant enjoys chess, so he has been practicing his skills with his father. Beginning next month, he will be participating in chess competitions.

Home economics- This is integrated into our daily lives. All of my children have learned how to cook. Through chores they learn skills that will help them in the future when they will not have their parents with them. They have also learned the basics of sewing.

Foreign language- All of my children have learned the alphabet in American Sign Language. Antoinette has gone farther in this, because of working with special needs children. Currently we are learning how to speak Spanish as a family, but my younger two each have languages that they want to learn after Spanish. Raven wants to learn Korean and Grant wants to learn French and Italian. You might wonder how a home school family would accomplish this without tutors. Well, with the educational software available, it is very possible.
Currently we are using the home school edition of Rosetta Stone and really like it.

Electronics- Grant has an interest in learning about electronics, so I give him ample opportunity to do so. He often dissects old electronics to learn what makes them work and he builds working things out of them. He also has electronic science kits that he works on in his free time.

Auto Mechanics- When my husband fixes our vehicles, he teaches our children about what he is doing. Many times my older two children do the repairs under his supervision.

Wood shop- My son knows how to use wood cutting tools such as a circular saw. He has learned how to work with wood and make home repairs from working hands on with his father. Besides repairs, Grant has made some things out of wood, such as a bird house, a wooden shelf with hooks for the bedroom., and chess board with chess pieces. His chess set sold for fifty dollars in a boyscout auction.

Culteral Exchange- This is a continuous project with my children. They have pen pals from all parts of the world. We send them things from our area and they do the same. Sometimes we have exchanges that have a particular focus such as climate change. We create these friendships through epals.com.

Antoinette has shown interest in taking lessons in shooting a gun, so I am working on setting that up for her.I am working on setting up drivers education for Antoinette. Also, I am working on getting information on getting all of my children involved in our local 4H.

Raven displaying what she got from her pen pal in China.


No comments:

Post a Comment